- Torrey, UT, USA
Internship Title: Capitol Reef National Park - Orchard Management Internship
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a Non-Profit Conservation Corps based in Flagstaff, AZ, in partnership with Capitol Reef National Park, is seeking ONE Orchard Management Intern to work directly with the Capitol Reef maintenance staff caring for the Park's orchards which are designated as a Rural Historic Landscape within the Fruita region of the park. This opportunity is intended for enthusiastic entry-level professionals with a background in forestry, recreation management, anthropology, ecology, botany, landscape architecture, natural resource management, or a closely related field, who possess a deep interest in advancing their career goals through hard work and commitment to Capitol Reef's amazing historic cultural and natural resources.
Start Date: May 20, 2013
End Date: July 7, 2013 (7-week internship)
Location: Capitol Reef National Park is located in southern Utah. Housing is located within the park. Nearest shopping center is located 25 miles away.
Project Partner Website: For more information about the Capitol Reef and its rich culture, please visit the website at: http://www.nps.gov/care/index.htm or http://www.nps.gov/care/historyculture/orchardscms.htm
Compensation: A $140/week living allowance will be provided for food and incidentals. Housing is in a five-bedroom dormitory. Intern will have private room with a shared bath. Shared kitchen and common areas as well as all appliances, including coin-operated washer and dryer are provided as are basic kitchen pots, pans and dishes. Heat, electricity, water are included. There is local phone service at the dormitory (long distance calls can be made with a calling card) and cell reception in the park is spotty. Internet service is provided.
Position Description: The ACE intern will assist Capitol Reef's maintenance staff with pruning and care of the historic orchard managed by the park south of Fruita. Intern work will be supervised primarily by the Orchard Manager with oversight from the Maintenance Supervisor. The intern will also work with backcountry fence crews, GIS leads, and other maintenance personnel. Specific duties are described below, but are not limited to the following:
Working within the Orchard (80%):
- Pruning fruit trees using chainsaw, hand pruning saws, loppers, orchard lift and ladders
- Assisting in irrigation operations
- Assisting in fruit harvest
- Bucking pruned limbs into small pieces and operation of wood chipper and wood splitter
- Hauling limbs to wood pile and campground
- Assisting in dead tree/stump removal
- Assisting orchard manager with tasks related to orchard pruning'repair of tools and equipment
- Using hand tools to clear and maintain historic irrigation ditches
- Assisting in the repair of irrigation ditches
- Preparing orchards for spring planting
- Assisting GIS professional with orchard infrastructure and data mapping
- Assisting in the repair of orchard fence and gates
- Assisting in the installation of valve boxes
- Assisting in troubleshooting irrigation lines
Fence work (10%):
- Assisting in back country fencing operations'fence post pounding, wire stretching (may involve pack animal riding)
- Assist in backcountry fencing condition assessments
Other duties (10%):
- Assist with minor maintenance operations (occasional custodial and maintenance assistant duties)
- Attendance at monthly staff meetings
- Attendance at weekly safety meetings
- Assist natural resource personnel with re-vegetation projects, spotted owl surveys, invasive removals and possible botanical surveys
Project Background and Objectives: Today, the orchards are preserved and protected as a Rural Historic Landscape. The orchards hold approximately 2,700 trees and are composed of cherry, apricot, peach, pear, and apple, as well as, a few plum, mulberry, almond, and walnut trees. The National Park Service now owns and maintains the orchards with an orchard crew that is kept busy year round with pruning, irrigation, and orchard management.
Training Provided: Orchard care and identification, GPS/GIS use, some backcountry hiking and navigation, and other specific skills as they relate to the position offered (ie. Chipper/splitter, fencing tools, etc). Defensive Drivers Training will be necessary to drive government vehicles.
Qualifications: Progress in, or completion of, a natural resource based education is highly desired, as is the applicant's interest in a career working for the NPS or related natural resource management agency. Interns must be willing to represent ACE and Capitol Reef in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner. Drug users should not consider applying, as ACE reserves the right to require drug testing.
- Internship is available to US Citizens
- Interns must be 18 to 25 years old and/or 26 to 29 and have recently completed a relevant MS/MA Degree Program
- Must have a Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and ability to provide documentation
- Interns must have personal medical insurance for the duration of their participation with ACE
- Deep interest in ecology and respect for nature. A desire to gain a deeper understanding and relationship with the southwest and understand what it takes to manage our country's most revered natural places
- Must be physically fit for outdoor work in all types of inclement weather. Be able to carry and lift up to 50 pounds, work on steep and rough terrain in the backcountry of the park
- English proficiency required
- Current chainsaw/sawyer certification
- Basic CPR/First Aid certification
- Knowledge of management and care of orchard crops
- Understanding of preserved & maintained cultural landscapes
- Knowledge and ability utilizing GPS equipment in the field
- Ability to work alone or in a group
- Ability to operate a 4-wheel drive vehicle on steep, rough terrain, possibly pulling a trailer
- Experience using and repairing manual and power tools and other relevant equipment
- A personal vehicle is required as it is difficult to secure reliable rides for groceries or other activities that one may wish to engage in during off hours
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!